Torockó és Torockószentgyörgy
In the 2nd and 3rd centuries a Roman watch post was in operation in the Torockó Valley on the Székelykő (Szekler Rock). After the Mongol-Tatar invasion (13th century) the Hungarian kings assigned groups of Szeklers from Kézdi Seat to settle in Torockó, and the 5th Szekler Seat (Aranyos Seat) was established. The local names (Székelykő, Székely-kocsárd, Székelyföldvár) have preserved the memory of the former owners up to nowadays. The surrounding nature and the historical past have contributed a lot to the duality of the region: the valley is bordered by two hills, the Szekler Rock (1130 m) and the Ordaskő (1200 m); there are two villages (Torockó and Torockószentgyörgy) inhabited by people of Hungarian nationality, as well as two villages with Romanian dwellers (Bedellő and Gyertyános) in the valley; the villages belonged to two different counties (Torda-Aranyos County and Alba County) through time; the region had two castles, the Szekler Rock castle and the Torockószentgyörgy castle; in a certain period of the year the sun rises twice at Torockó in the morning; there are two river basins (the Aranyos and the Maros) that collect its waters; the inhabitants of Torockó and Torockószentgyörgy are the descendants of two nations, the Szekler-Hungarians and the German settlers; two painters immortalized the beauty of the landscape and folk wear, Albert Vass (1896–1969) and Mrs. Amál Dóczy-Berde (1886–1976); two famous personalities of the cultural history were born in this region, Sámuel Brassai (1800–1897) and János Kriza, unitarian bishop and ethnographer (1811–1875).
The style of the houses (which obtained the “Europa Nostra” prize after being restored in their original form) shows more of an urban than a rural character. Thus, with their houses built of stone, the inhabitants of Torockó were able to manifest their biggest pride: their status of free citizens and town dwellers, instead of villagers. During a tour in the Torockó Valley, it is highly recommended to visit the Ethnographical and Ironwork Museum, to climb the Szekler Rock (a 620 m climb), to take a stroll in Torockó, to walk to the Torockószentgyörgy castle ruins and visit the Water mill built in 1723.